A fire broke out at the University of Zimbabwe main campus Friday morning, destroying a block housing the higher learning institution’s physics department.

Social media images showed the building engulfed in the inferno.

In a post on her X, Fadzayi Mahere, who is Mount Pleasant legislator and parliament’s portfolio committee chair on education, confirmed the incident.

“Earlier today, I received a saddening report that a fire broke out at the Physics Department at the University of Zimbabwe.

“Students who were at the scene suspect the fire broke out due to naked wires although the exact cause was not immediately clear.

“Students panicked as the Fire Department battled to calm the raging flames.

“This tragedy could not have come at a worse time for students who are already reeling under a fees crisis, outdated infrastructure, inadequate equipment & resources at the State’s biggest tertiary institution,” Mahere said.

The extent of the damage or cause of the fire could however not be readily established.