Justice Mayor Wadyajena’s luxury cars are being towed off from the Beitbridge Border post. They are said to be taken back to Harare ZACC offices.

The Gokwe-Nembudziya Legislator’s cars were impounded yesterday after authorities suspected him of shipping away some of his movable properties.

Justice Mayor Wadyajena's luxury cars are being towed off from the Beitbridge Border post. They are said to be taken back to Harare ZACC offices pic.twitter.com/kiPoKjI63Y

— ZBC News Online (@ZBCNewsonline) August 20, 2022

Wadyajena, together with three Cotton Company of Zimbabwe (Cottco) bosses, is already facing US$5 million fraud charges after allegedly using funds for importing bale ties to import trucks, buy fuel and make an assortment of other payments that had nothing to do with the ties.

In the latest case, alert security agencies intercepted Wadyajena’s luxury cars from being taken to South Africa.

Sources said the two vehicles, a red BMW X6 and a Lamborghini, both high-performance Sport Utility Vehicles (SUV) were being transported from Harare to Beitbridge en-route to South Africa, in a carrier haulage on Thursday evening.

According to the vehicle clearance documents, the two vehicles were cleared at the Central Investigations Department (CID) Vehicles Theft Squad (VTS) in Harare on Wednesday.

“The yellow Lamborghini, engine number DHU005304 was being driven by the legislator’s young brother, Professor Tatenda Wadyajena (32) a footballer while the BMW X6 engine number 21470026 was being driven by Kudakwashe Kuora (32), a customs clearing agent,” said a border official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

“We got information that the lawmaker was clandestinely moving his assets to South Africa ahead of the conclusion of his alleged Cottco fraud trial.”

The official said the two vehicles arrived at the border post at around 10 am on the pretext that they were being transported to South Africa for routine service.

Security agents got suspicious about the timing by the legislator to move the two vehicles soon after getting bail pending trial in the US$5 million fraud case, sources said.

Contacted for comment, Wadyajena promised to return the call, but had not done so by time of going to print.

“I will call you back later once I get settled,” he said before cutting the call.

The two impounded vehicles generated a lot of interest from the travelling public and security officials had a torrid moment as they battled to prevent people from taking pictures.

National police spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi was not readily available for comment last night.

— ZBC/Chronicle