French Ligue 1 outfit Stade De Reims has responded to Brighton Hove’s pursuit of midfielder Marshall Munetsi.
According to reports, Brighton Hove scouts and analysts were charmed by Munetsi’s impressive statistics in the middle of the park and this prompted the club to sign him this summer.
Statistically, Munetsi was considered the best ahead of Aurelien Tchouameni who joined Real Madrid from Monaco earlier this month and Boubacar Kamara who left Marseille for Aston Villa.
Impressed by the star, Brighton was looking forward to land the player this summer for £7 million.
English Premier League side Brighton and Hove Albion have reportedly approached French Ligue 1 side Reims over Warrior Marshall Munetsi.
Brighton are eyeing him as a potential replacement for Yves Bissouma who left for Tottenham M pic.twitter.com/7PGhoAGuFl
— Yvonne Mangunda (@yvonnemangunda) June 22, 2022
Brighton approach Reims over £7m-rated Marshall Munetsi with Graham Potter keen to replace Yves Bissouma https://t.co/avdSdN0jIY
— MailOnline Sport (@MailSport) June 22, 2022
However, Brighton was told that their target, Munetsi will not be leaving the club this season.
Club president Jean-Pierre Caillot is reported by France publication L’Union as having said:
He has just extended and is untransferable.
Munetsi who joined Reims back in 2019 from South Africa-based side Orlando Pirates, recently extended his contract to 2026.
A few weeks away from celebrating his 26th birthday, Marshall Munetsi, midfielder with a Red and White heart since the summer of 2019, is extending his adventure for two more years. He will be with Stade de Reims until 2026!, wrote Reims on it’s website after Munetsi extended his contract.
Brighton wanted to strengthen its squad with Munetsi, considering him a perfect replacement for Yves Bissouma who crossed to Tottenham.
The 25-year-old Bissouma joined Antonio Conte’s side on a four-year contract after a record fee of £25 million plus add-ons was agreed on.